the day to day of a professional actor in the San Francisco Bay Area

mostly the day to day of a professional actor in the San Francisco Bay Area, but also the home of the Counting Actors Project

Sunday, May 6, 2012

A book for actors that's not about acting

I just finished reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.  I highly recommend this book.  It's really easy to read, and a fascinating look at why we do the things we do and how so many of the things we do are habitual.  It's a great tool for understanding yourself, as well as how to break or change old habits and create or build new ones.

Also, the book got me thinking a bit about how actors' lives are different.  We have comparatively few habits and routines - I do different things just about every day.  I go different places to work my multiple day jobs, and my schedule is constantly changing as I add auditions and fold in new projects or say good bye to old ones.  Because my day to day isn't 'routine', there are a lot of things I don't do habitually.

Even so, this book is still a terrific read.  You'll learn about keystone habits, and see how habits are influenced by groups, and understand why even when you build a strong habit, it may still falter under extreme pressure.

An excerpt from the book is available here.  It's a guide to how to replace a 'bad' habit with a better one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment