the day to day of a professional actor in the San Francisco Bay Area

mostly the day to day of a professional actor in the San Francisco Bay Area, but also the home of the Counting Actors Project

Monday, February 6, 2012

Control for actors - what you can and what you can't

A couple of weeks ago, I was making dinner and things weren't turning out the way I wanted.  I started getting upset about it.  Kevin asked 'why are you getting so upset?' and somehow I had a crazy moment of clarity in the middle of all of that and said something to the effect of 'I'm getting upset because making dinner is one of the few things in my life I have control over.  I have so little control over so much of what goes on in my life!'

Since then I've been thinking about the control issue for actors, and how to make a blog post. I thought about how Karen Kohlhaas covers this very well in regards to auditions in her book The Monologue Audition, and was going to start there.

But then today, Bonnie Gillespie's column on the showfax website just hits it out of the park, so I'm not going to write anything else. Go read Bonnie's column now.

No comments:

Post a Comment